Bhutto: Government Blocking Bomb Probe
Calls again for international experts to aid inquiry
By Peter Fearon,  Newser Staff
Posted Oct 23, 2007 4:59 AM CDT
Supporters of Benazir Bhutto climb down from her open-air truck after a bomb explosion at a procession of Pakistan's former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto in Karachi, Pakistan on Thursday, Oct 18, 2007....   (Associated Press)
camera-icon View 4 more images

(Newser) – Former Pakistani PM Benazir Bhutto accused government officials of blocking the investigation into the attack on her last week that killed 140 supporters, reports the Washington Post. Bhutto demanded that international experts be brought into the probe because "there are very powerful figures behind the assassination attempt on me," she said. The government has so far declined to ask for international help.

Bhutto claims that elements of the Pakistani military as well as Islamic fundamentalists were behind the attempt. Officials have dismissed the accusation. A Western diplomat said it's too early to determine who was responsible. "The Pakistanis are doing their thing," he said. "Is it a 'CSI'? Not quite. Nevertheless, they have their procedures."