TSA Chief Says Pat-Downs Here to Stay ... or Not
Says pat-downs won't stop; then revises statement
By Matt Cantor,  Newser User
Posted Nov 22, 2010 7:49 AM CST

(Newser) – Enhanced pat-down policies are “not changing” due to “the risks that have been identified,” the TSA chief told CNN yesterday—before quickly amending his words in a statement to Politico. Airport security screenings “will be adapted as conditions warrant,” John Pistole wrote, making them “as minimally invasive as possible, while still providing the security that the American people want and deserve.”

"We know through intelligence that there are determined people, terrorists who are trying to kill not only Americans but innocent people around the world," he had said earlier on CNN. As for why the more intense pat-downs were sprung on the traveling public without much warning, "I did not want to provide a blueprint or a road map to the terrorists to say, 'Here's our new security procedure, so here's all you have to do.'" (Click here for the latest pat-down outrage.)

 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
20%
3%
0%
13%
8%
58%