Amanda Knox Appeal Begins
Defense to challenge conviction 'from A to Z'
By Nick McMaster,  Newser Staff
Suggested by savageviking
Posted Nov 24, 2010 2:02 PM CST
Amanda Knox of the US, centre, escorted by penitentiary guards arrives for a hearing for her appeals trial, in Perugia's courthouse, Italy, Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2010.   (AP Photo/Stefano Medici)
camera-icon View 3 more images

(Newser) – Round 2 begins: Amanda Knox appeared back in court in Italy yesterday to begin her appeal of a murder conviction in the slaying of Meredith Kercher, the New York Times reports. By the looks of things, attention hasn't waned: “We have to get used to the idea that this is going to be a media trial,” said the judge. Six books have been published on the case in the last year, and two films are in production, notes the Times.

As for the appeal: “We’re contesting everything, from A to Z,” said one of Knox’s lawyers. “Putting together a lot of uncertain elements does not make a strong case. At least not one with no reasonable doubt.” The first day's hearing lasted only 15 minutes or so, and the next is scheduled for December 11. Knox appeared "wan and tense," reports the Times.

 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
20%
10%
43%
10%
6%
12%