Lockerbie Bomber Kin Suing Over Prison 'Neglect'
He wasn't 'looked after,' complains Moammar Gadhafi
By Mary Papenfuss,  Newser User
Posted Dec 3, 2010 4:10 AM CST
Abdel Baset al-Megrahi: chilling in Libya.   (AP Photo/Danny Lawson, File)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – The family of the Lockerbie bomber is preparing to sue Scotland for neglect while the killer was in prison. Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, convicted of killing 270 people in the 1988 Pan Am bombing, was freed last year to return to Libya on compassionate grounds after being diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer. His lawyers said he had three months to live some 16 months ago. He's now said to be "very ill," reports the Independent.

The planned suit was announced by Libya's leader Moammar Gadhafi in a talk video-linked to the London School of Economics yesterday. "His health was not looked after in prison. He didn't have any periodic examination," Gadhafi complained. "After he passes away, his family will demand compensation because he was deliberately neglected in prison." Megrahi's release sparked fury, especially in the US, where some officials have complained that the move was linked to oil access.