Drinking cuts across all social, economic, and cultural lines, but who imbibes the most? Some answers, compiled by the Daily Beast:
- Men drink more than women (57.6% vs. 46.5%). The gender gap is all but nil for underage drinkers, then widens with age.
- New Hampshire drinks the most beer of any state. At 31.6 gallons per capita per year, New Hampshirites easily outswig New Yorkers (16.7 gallons).
- Ugandans out-drink everyone, with 19.47 liters of pure alcohol consumed per capita per year.
- Rich Americans drink more than the poor. Those whose income is four times the poverty level are far more likely to have had a drink in the last 30 days than those below the level.
- Washington, DC, drinks twice as much wine per capita as California. The latter may be famous for making wine, but DC holds a higher concentration of the wine-drinking demographic.
for the full list.