Ever wonder if your bosses are snooping on you at work? They probably are. On SmartMoney, Catey Hill reveals 10 things they’ll never tell you:
- They read your emails and IMs: Some employ monitoring software that flags certain keywords or types of messages; one company estimates reading 5% to 10% of employee emails. But don’t worry: You’re more likely to get canned for leaking confidential information than, say, using your work email to place an Amazon order.
- They know when you’re not actually sick: One manager sums it up nicely: “I've been a boss, but I've been an employee too.” That sense of ESP also goes for job-hunting, leaving early, or just plain slacking.
- They don't care about your kids: Taking too much time off to care for them? You may be overlooked when it comes to big projects—or promotions.
- Promotions aren’t based on performance: Sure, performance matters—but many other factors contribute, including the question of how much your boss likes you.
- Looks matter: Attractive people tend to get ahead at work; unattractive people tend to be penalized. In one survey, 43% of overweight people reported being passed over, teased, or even fired for their weight.
Click for the complete list