Owner Critical After Pet Cobra Bite

Victim believed new pet's venom sacks had been removed

By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff

Posted Feb 2, 2011 2:19 AM CST

(Newser) – A New Jersey man who went shopping for pet snakes over the weekend ended up in critical condition after a snake bite. The 25-year-old reptile fan was hospitalized after a bite from an albino cobra, which he had bought along with a diamondback rattlesnake and a copperhead snake, MSNBC reports.

The man apparently believed the snakes’ venom sacks had been removed, Fox notes. "Ownership of poisonous snakes in New Jersey requires special training and permits to ensure the safety of the owner and the public," local police said in a statement. It's not clear whether the victim had the necessary permit. The snakes are now in the care of the state's Fish and Wildlife department.

The victim bought the albino cobra and two other snakes in Pennsylvania.   (WikiMedia/SMcCandlish)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
9%
52%
3%
5%
4%
27%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   MSN Living   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   Biography   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!