The 2011 Grammys kicked off with a long, long (too long) tribute to Aretha Franklin, compliments of Jennifer Hudson, Martina McBride, Christina Aguilera (who didn't flub, but did fall), Florence Welch (of Florence + the Machine), and Yolanda Adams. Next:
- The group awarded the prize for Best Pop Duo to Train for "Hey, Soul Sister (Live)." The group then thanked Justin Bieber for "not being a duo or a group."
- Lady Gaga emerged from her egg (sporting pointy, prosthetic-type shoulders) to perform "Born This Way."
- More performances, by Miranda Lambert and Muse.
- Oh, and then ... wait for it ... another performance, by BoB, Bruno Mars, and Janelle Monae.
- Winner, Female Country Vocal: Miranda Lambert wins first Grammy of her career for "The House That Built Me."
- Another performance, by Justin Bieber (OMG!), teenier teenybopper Jaden Smith, and Usher.
- Best Rock Album goes to Muse for The Resistance.
- Best Pop Vocal Album goes to Lady Gaga for The Fame Monster (and she thanks...).
- Best Country Album goes to Lady Antebellum for Need You Now.
- Cee-Lo performs "Forget You"—with Gwyneth Paltrow ... and lots of Muppets.
- Song of the Year goes to "Need You Now."
- At last, Rihanna, Eminem, Dr. Dre perform. Rihanna is wearing quite the dress.
- Best New Artist goes to Esperanza Spalding (who beats Justin Bieber). Who is she? Click here.
- Best Rap Album goes to Eminem for Recovery.
- Record of the Year goes to Lady Antebellum for Need You Now.
- Album of the Year, the night's biggie, goes to Arcade Fire for The Suburbs.