Subway Hero to Sue Police
Joseph Lozito says they left him to fend for himself
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted Mar 23, 2011 2:50 PM CDT
Joseph Lozito poses for a photo Monday, Feb. 14, 2011 in New York.   (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Police were probably pretty pleased with Joseph Lozito when he helped them tackle alleged killer Maksim Gelman on a New York City subway last month, but he’s not happy with them. Lozito says he’s suing the city and the police, accusing officers of initially retreating to the conductor’s cabin, leaving Lozito to fend for himself, Fox News reports.

Lozito didn’t see this alleged cowardice himself however—he says he found out from a grand jury member who had heard the officers’ testimony. “The juror said cops locked themselves inside because they thought Gelman was going to pull out a gun,” Lozito’s lawyer says. “What were police officers waiting for, an engraved invitation?” But the NYPD says that’s not how things happened. They say the officers were actively hunting Gelman, and didn't see him until he banged the glass of the conductor's cabin.