Tiger Mom's control over her perfect daughter may be slipping. Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld, spawn of Amy Chua, is now indulging in a favorite pasttime of slackers everywhere: blogging. "When the whole world's calling you a mindless robot, you kind of get the urge to start talking," she posts in her new blog, Tiger Sophia. Snippets:
- On Tiger Mom: "She has a ridiculous amount of energy, but eventually she collapses in bed. She’ll be like, 'Sophia, get me my water bottle!' when it’s on her bedside table."
- On the book: "It’s despicable to suggest her book is satirical, and I’m deeply traumatized. If you lay awake every night weeping over the charred remains of your stuffed animals, you’d be traumatized too. [edit: for the love of god, people, I'M KIDDING]"
- On growing up Tiger: "When you spend 7 hours at school a day, 180 days a year, for 13 years, you rack up 16,380 hours of social interaction. That’s the equivalent of over 3,200 five-hour playdates. So overall, I don’t feel too deprived."
- On mom at Chinese restaurants: "My mom knows the Hokkien dialect of Chinese, not Mandarin, so she orders in English. If the waiter doesn’t speak English, my mom thinks she can help him understand by faking a Chinese accent: 'We lahk tofu SPAH-CY!'"
- On college: "I'm seriously considering both Yale and Harvard." (She was accepted at both.) But at either school, she jokes that she'll "sleep all day, rave all night, learn by osmosis."
Click to read more from Chua-Rubenfeld