NATO Sorry for Afghan Civilian Deaths
Insurgents hid in a civilian compound, says NATO commander
By Mark Russell,  Newser Staff
Posted May 30, 2011 6:10 AM CDT
Afghans shout anti-US slogans during a demonstration in Taloqan, Takhar province, north of Kabul, Afghanistan, earlier this month.   (AP Photo/Ezatullah Pamir)

(Newser) – NATO apologized earlier today for an airstrike that killed at least nine civilians in the insurgent-plagued Helmand province of Afghanistan, reports AP. "I want to offer my sincere apologies for the nine civilians who were killed during the incident in Nawzad district, Helmand province," said the southwest regional commander. Officials said that insurgents launched an attack that killed a US Marine from a compound that forces did not know contained civilians.

 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
18%
9%
9%
55%
0%
9%