UN: Congo Rape Victims Suffer Reprisal Attacks
Sexual assaults continue a year after mass attacks
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jul 6, 2011 11:22 AM CDT
A victim of a mass rape campaign in the town of Fizi, Congo, poses for a photo on Sunday, Feb. 20, 2011. Her identity has been concealed.   (AP Photo/Pete Muller)

(Newser) – The United Nations says survivors of a horrific mass rape attack in Congo last year have suffered reprisal attacks. A report issued today says a judicial inquiry into the Walikale rapes was suspended because of concerns about the attacks against victims. At least 387 people were raped in late July and early August last year, including men and children. UN investigators say the rapes could constitute war crimes though only one person has been indicted on criminal charges in connection with the attacks.

The rapes occurred within 12 miles of a UN peacekeeping base, raising questions about the ability of the UN's mission to fulfill its primary mandate of protecting civilians. (Click to read more about the area's persistent problem with sexual assault.)