Bandaged Saleh Makes First Appearance in Weeks
Slams 'undemocratic' attempt to drive him out
By Matt Cantor,  Newser User
Posted Jul 8, 2011 5:19 AM CDT
Supporters of Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh hold up his posters following the TV broadcast of an interview with Saleh on state television, in Sanaa, Yemen, Thursday, July 7, 2011.   (AP Photo/Hani Mohammed)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – Yemen’s president yesterday slammed opponents for what he called an undemocratic attempt to drive him from power; the televised appearance was his first since he was injured in last month’s attack on his compound. Wearing loose clothing and bandages on his hands, Ali Abdullah Saleh’s complexion looked darker than usual, the Wall Street Journal notes. He said he’d undergone eight operations for burns after the June 3 explosion at his compound and pledged to “confront a challenge with a challenge,” a phrase he has used in the past.

Saleh said he was willing to share power, but gave few details. “We welcome partnership in rule but according to the constitution. Many have understood democracy incorrectly, through incorrect practices,” he said in a prerecorded, 7-minute clip from Saudi Arabia. As Saleh recuperates in Saudi Arabia, his family has retained control of leading security jobs and the presidential palace. The president didn’t say when he’d return.