Pakistan on Dead Journo: Accusation 'Irresponsible'
It is definitely not happy with what Adm. Mike Mullen had to say
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 8, 2011 11:14 AM CDT
People carry a coffin containing the dead body of Pakistani journalist Syed Saleem Shahzad at Karachi airport in Pakistan, June 1, 2011.   (AP Photo/Fareed Khan)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Pakistan is furious today over US allegations that it tortured and killed journalist Saleem Shahzad. A few days ago, US military officials were reluctant to even anonymously confirm that the Pentagon suspected the ISI in the killing, but yesterday Admiral Mike Mullen himself said he believed Pakistan’s government had “sanctioned” the killing. “It’s a way to continue to, quite frankly, spiral in the wrong direction,” he said, according to the AP.

Mullen is the highest-ranking officer in the US military, and the first to publicly accuse Pakistan in Shahzad’s death. Mere hours later, the state-run Associated Press of Pakistan released an angry statement, calling Mullen’s accusations “extremely irresponsible,” and saying that it “will not help in investigating the issue.” The government, it noted, had already set up a commission to investigate the incident.