News of the World Whistleblower Found Dead
Sean Hoare's body found a week after he made new accusations
By Tim Karan,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 18, 2011 2:21 PM CDT

(Newser) – Sean Hoare—the former News of the World reporter who was the first to publicly accuse editor Andy Coulson of knowing about his staff's phone hacking practices—has been found dead in his home. Police say they were called to check on his well-being, and discovered Hoare's body this morning, reports the Guardian. The cause of death is unexplained, but investigators don't believe it's suspicious.

Hoare—who reportedly had a history of drug and alcohol abuse—told the New York Times last year that he played tapes of illegally recorded phone conversations for Coulson when they worked together at the Sun and News of the World, and that Coulson in fact "actively encouraged me to do it." Just last week, he told the Times that NOTW reporters pay off police for technology to pinpoint people's locations. He said, "I don't know how often it happened. That would be wrong of me. But if I had access as a humble reporter… "
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
3%
0%
13%
6%
1%
76%