Americans Fed Up With Obama, GOP on Economy
GOP scores lower, but Obama's numbers plummeting
By Kevin Spak, Newser User
Posted Jul 26, 2011 8:14 AM CDT
Diana Orrock of Las Vegas listens to speakers during a tea party rally to support Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval's promise not to raise taxes in this April 15 file photo.   (AP Photo/Julie Jacobson)

(Newser) – When it comes to the economy, the public is getting increasingly fed up with pretty much everyone in Washington. Roughly equal numbers blame President Obama and the Republicans for the state of the economy, according to a new Washington Post poll. And though Obama scores slightly higher than Republicans when it comes to jobs—65% disapprove of the GOP’s handling of employment, compared to 52% for Obama—his overall numbers are swiftly plummeting.

Though most people polled still blame George W. Bush for the recession, the number who said Obama had made things worse rose six points, to 37%. The number of liberal Democrats who strongly support his record on jobs tumbled a whopping 22 points to just 31%, and his support among African Americans took a similar dive. “What I’ve realized is it doesn’t matter if you’re Republican or Democrat anymore,” said one self-identified liberal respondent. “We just want somebody who’s gonna get things right."

View 1 more image
Next on Newser: US Won't Default on Aug. 2
More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Your Take
9%
3%
11%
8%
65%
3%
8% of people agree
that it's Depressing
Check Out Another Depressing Story
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 37 comments
pjp1414
Jul 27, 2011 6:34 PM CDT
Ron Paul 2012. that is all
cornelison
Jul 26, 2011 7:32 PM CDT
Obama does own this issue as well as anyone in Congress who takes money from special interests. I'm a liberal and The President has not shown much in the way of communication and leadership skills. His dream of bi-partisanship died the day he won. We need a Congress controlled by liberals and he keeps going "right." Obama could have preempted this weeks ago. By failing to talk to Americans early in this process he allowed The Tea Party to take control of the message.
dann0
Jul 26, 2011 3:28 PM CDT
"65% disapprove of the GOP’s handling of employment," How deep do the other 35% have their heads in the sand? The GOP hasn't done a single thing to promote employment this year; they keep trying to restrict and force their social agenda by exciting the ignorant into voting against their own best economic interest.