Rick Perry laid out his reasons for entering the presidential race today in his big speech in South Carolina. Some excerpts from Politico and the New York Times:
- "It is time to get America working again. That’s why, with the support of my family, and an unwavering belief in the goodness of America, I declare to you today my candidacy for president of the United States."
- "Mr. President, you can’t win the future by selling it off to foreign creditors."
- "America's standing in the world is imperiled."
- "In reality, this is just the most recent downgrade. The fact is for nearly three years, President Obama has been downgrading American jobs, downgrading our standing in the world, downgrading our financial stability, downgrading confidence, and downgrading the hope of a better future for our children."
- "I will work every day to make Washington, DC, as inconsequential in your lives as I can, and free our families, small businesses and states from a burdensome and costly federal government so they can create, innovate and succeed. With the help and courage of the American people, we will get our country working again."