Soda Fountain Gas Blamed for McDonald's Death
Carbon dioxide left woman, 80, unable to breathe
By Evann Gastaldo, Newser Staff
Posted Sep 16, 2011 9:51 AM CDT
A soda fountain leak is to blame for a recent death inside McDonald's.   (Flickr)

(Newser) – A soda fountain is to blame in the death of an 80-year-old woman who was found unconscious last week in a McDonald’s restroom in Georgia, police say. Carbon dioxide, used to carbonate the beverages and normally harmless, was accidentally piped through leaky gas lines in the walls between the soda fountain and the restroom. “At a high level of concentration, it displaces oxygen” needed to breathe, the police chief explains. The woman died by asphyxiation, and nine others were treated as well. The gas lines and valves have since been replaced, the AP reports.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Soda Fountain Gas Blamed for McDonald's Death is...
1%
7%
3%
16%
1%
72%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 11 comments
InferiorToYou
Sep 17, 2011 9:32 AM CDT
I hope this was just a screw up by the contractor who built this one restaurant. It sounds like they used material that is not compatible with the acidic CO2 when they put in the lines. Over time, it will eat holes in metal.
FirstObserver
Sep 17, 2011 8:16 AM CDT
This makes no sense.
SpaceCadetGlow
Sep 16, 2011 3:35 PM CDT
that's why i stick to water/juice keeps ya a lot less flatulent!