Writers Reject Producers' New Offer
Two sides can't agree on internet pay as picketers march on
By Sam Gale Rosen,  Newser Staff
Posted Nov 30, 2007 10:38 AM CST
Writer David Kidd and his daughter Grace picket outside an outdoor stage where the taping of "Last Call With Carson Daly" with musical guest Soulja Boy was scheduled to occur, Thursday, Nov. 29, 2007...   (Associated Press)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Striking writers angrily rejected a new offer from producers to resolve the biggest sticking point in negotiations—compensation for internet use. The producers said they offered $130 million more in annual compensation to writers, who dismissed the deal as a "massive rollback." Talks to end the 3-week strike will resume Tuesday, the AP reports.

The writers' counteroffer asks for $150 million in additional revenue. An industry analyst says it's strange that the two plans differ on the surface by only $20 million, but that the two sides seems so far apart. "None of this computes," he said. "It's very difficult to analyze this in any rigorous way."