News Corp Phone Hacking Settlement: $4.8M Money will go to Milly Dowler's family, charity By Matt Cantor, Newser User Posted Oct 21, 2011 11:44 AM CDT 3 comments Comments News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch. (Getty Images) (Newser) – As the phone hacking controversy rages on, News Corp has reached a settlement with the family of a murdered girl at the center of the case, Bloomberg reports. In keeping with an offer last month, the company’s British branch is paying Milly Dowler’s family about $3.2 million, with the rest of the $4.8 million settlement going to a charity, News International announced today. News of the World was accused of hacking the girl’s phone messages. “When I met with the Dowlers in July, I expressed how deeply sorry I was for the hurt we had caused this family,” Rupert Murdoch said in a statement. “The behavior that the News of the World exhibited toward the Dowlers was abhorrent and I hope this donation underscores my regret for the company’s role in this awful event.” The CEO was directly involved in arranging the settlement, insiders have said. The news comes as News Corp. holds its annual shareholders’ meeting in Los Angeles.