Occupier: Pepper Spray Made Me Miscarry
Seattle 19-year-old says she was 3 months pregnant during protest
By Kevin Spak, Newser User
Posted Nov 22, 2011 1:04 PM CST
Loading... Please wait

(Newser) – An Occupy Seattle protester claims she had a miscarriage after being beaten and pepper-sprayed by police. Homeless 19-year-old Jennifer Fox tells the Seattle Stranger that she was three months pregnant when she took a face-full of pepper spray during a protest, and that police also kicked her in the stomach as well. “I was screaming, 'I am pregnant, I am pregnant. Let me through. I am trying to get out,’” she says. The incident occurred Nov. 15, the same night an 84-year-old was infamously sprayed.

Fox was rushed to the hospital, where doctors performed an ultrasound and saw nothing wrong. But she says she started having cramps on Sunday and returned to the hospital. “They diagnosed that I was having a miscarriage. They said the damage was from the kick and that the pepper spray got to it [the fetus], too,” she says. Fox hasn’t provided medical records to back up her story, but says she will—and that she’s “trying to get lawyers.”

View 1 image
More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Occupier: Pepper Spray Made Me Miscarry is...
14%
7%
1%
68%
2%
8%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 269 comments
Tat2d2bamuse
Nov 23, 2011 5:36 PM CST
This happened the same night the 84 year old was Pepper Sprayed in the face. The Protesters were being Peaceful. I am from Occupy Tacoma in Washington State. We had Protesters, up in Seattle the night this happened. I encourage everyone to get their facts Straight. She was Pregnant. she was homeless. And SHE will be able to prove to the media what happened and it being the result of loosing her baby. Last time I checked it was not illegal to be Homeless in America....In fact that is the way the BIG corporations would rather have it...More empty housing, sitting on land they own...and are trying to sell back to people who can not afford it! Until you have been in the middle of what is going on, you have no freaking clue what you are saying! I will defend her and any others that get ravaged like this.....Because we are in this shit together.
SpaceCadetGlow
Nov 23, 2011 2:00 PM CST
"NEW YORK (AP) — During the first two months of the nationwide Occupy protests, the movement that is demanding more out of the wealthiest Americans cost local taxpayers at least $13 million in police overtime , according to a survey by The Associated Press. The heaviest financial burden has fallen upon law enforcement agencies tasked with monitoring marches and evicting protesters from outdoor camps. And the steepest costs by far piled up in New York City and Oakland, Calif., where police clashed with protesters on several occasions. The AP gathered figures from government agencies in 18 cities with active protests and focused on costs through Nov. 15, the day protesters were evicted from New York City's Zuccotti Park" This is the protestors' largest,most glaring mistake. The values they are fighting for are not even being considered by anyone with the capabilities of instituting any sort of change, Obama has not even adressed it since the beginning and this just goes to show that these fools are not affecting the 1 % in the slightest only making it worse on themselves and the rest of the 99 % they are supposedly defending. The article in which this information was lifted does only give the figures as pertains to local law enforcement it does not even begin to scratch the surface of how much it is costing streets and sanitation which is the reason they were evicted from Zuccotti park and elsewhere. Occupy has failed and we are picking up the tab.
saucier111
Nov 23, 2011 12:44 PM CST
This is not that uncommon in third world countries, and that's what were becoming. If you care at all about America and want to see which direction they are taking us, on your pc type in ;Council of foreign relations; then scroll down till you reach. [CFR] and the new world order.