Ex-Nazi, 90, Starts Life Sentence

Heinrich Boere killed 3 people as SS member in 1944

By Matt Cantor,  Newser Staff

Posted Dec 15, 2011 5:03 PM CST

(Newser) – A 90-year-old former member of the Nazi SS is heading to prison for murder—67 years later. An ambulance picked up the wheelchair-bound Heinrich Boere at his nursing home in Germany and carried him to a prison hospital, the BBC reports. A medical expert ruled him fit to serve his term for the killing of three Dutch people in 1944. He has admitted to the killings, saying he was following orders and would otherwise have faced a concentration camp. An appeal of his sentence was rejected.

"At no time in 1944 did I act with the feeling that I was committing a crime," he said in court; now, he says he feels differently. But the judge called the killings "totally random." The half-German, half-Dutch Boere was initially convicted of the killings in 1949 in Amsterdam, but he wasn't extradited. Decades later, a German court rejected the conviction because Boere hadn't been at the trial. He was finally indicted in Germany in 2008 and sentenced last year.

Former member of Hitler's Waffen SS Heinrich Boere, left, sits next to lawyer Gordon Christiansen during his trial in the courtroom of the court in Aachen, Germany, March 23, 2010.   (AP Photo/dapd/Hermann J. Knippertz)
In this March 23, 2010, file photo, former member of a Nazi SS hit squad Heinrich Boere sits in the courtroom in Aachen, Germany.   (AP Photo/dapd, Hermann J. Knippertz)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
7%
7%
11%
36%
35%
3%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   MSN Living   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   Biography   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!