Dozens Still Missing From Cruise Ship
Three bodies have been recovered so far
By John Johnson,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 14, 2012 7:36 AM CST
This aerial video image taken from a helicopter shows the luxury ship on its side.   (Border Police)
camera-icon View 9 more images

(Newser) – As of this morning, authorities in Italy said up to about 70 people remain unaccounted for after a huge luxury cruise ship ran aground and tipped on its side near the Tuscany coast, reports AP. It's possible that number could come down as authorities get a better handle on the evacuation of more than 4,200. Three bodies have been recovered from the water so far. Early quotes from survivors don't exactly paint a picture of organization aboard the Costa Concordia after it ran aground:

  • "It was so unorganized, our evacuation drill was scheduled for 5 pm," says a Connecticut woman. "We had joked 'What if something had happened today?'"
  • "Have you seen 'Titanic?' That's exactly what it was," says a Los Angeles woman.
  • "We had to scream at the controllers to release the boats from the side," says a South African man. "We were standing in the corridors and they weren't allowing us to get onto the boats. It was a scramble, an absolute scramble."
  • And this: One woman says a couple desperately handed her their 3-year-old daughter as they were losing their balance in the ship. "I grabbed the baby. But then I was being pushed down. I didn't want the baby to fall down the stairs. I gave the baby back. I couldn't hold her. I thought that was the end and I thought they should be with their baby." It's not clear whether they survived.

 

Loading... Please wait
Loading... Please wait
Loading... Please wait
Loading... Please wait
Loading... Please wait
Loading... Please wait
Loading... Please wait
Loading... Please wait
Loading... Please wait
My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
2%
9%
0%
12%
2%
75%