Stephen Colbert brought his campaign to South Carolina today, along with the man whose name he is borrowing for the primary: Herman Cain. They sang, they danced, and they had the best rally name of all: the "Rock Me Like a Herman Cain South Cain-olina Primary Rally." Among some of the lines from the rally at the College of Charleston, from AP, Time, and the Chicago Sun-Times:
- "I want you to vote for Herman Cain because Herman Cain is me," said Colbert. "He possesses the one thing I don't have, a place on the ballot."
- Colbert said he has believed in Cain's message for "several days now."
- "I know I don’t need to pander ... to the most beautiful people in the world!" said Colbert.
- Cain told the crowd he's fine with Colbert using his name, but added that he's not crazy about the stunt: "I don't want you to waste your vote."
- The pundits want to know if this is a joke, said Colbert. “If they are calling being allowed to form a super PAC and [collect] unlimited and untraceable amounts of money from individuals and unions and corporations and spend that money on political ads and for personal enrichment and surrender that super PAC to one of my closest friends while I explore a run for office—if that is a joke, then they are saying our entire campaign finance system is a joke.”