Kenyan Leaders Ordered to Hague
Presidential hopefuls to be tried for 2007 crimes against humanity
By Matt Cantor,  Newser User
Posted Jan 23, 2012 12:20 PM CST
In this Friday, April 8, 2011 file photo, Kenyan Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta appears at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands.   (AP Photo/Bas Czerwinski, Pool, File)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – The International Criminal Court has ruled that four Kenyans, including two possible presidential candidates, must stand trial for crimes against humanity. Finance minister Uhuru Kenyatta, ex-minister William Ruto, and two others will face the Hague court over violence following the 2007 election that left at least 1,220 dead, Reuters reports. Kenyatta is accused of ordering a militia to carry out mass murder and rape after the disputed contest. The court's decision is "a great thing in terms of the fight against impunity in the country," says an anti-corruption campaigner.

Both Kenyatta and Ruto have suggested they plan to run for president despite the decision; Ruto says he will appeal. But "the sheer practicalities of facing trial may make it impossible to run, not to speak of the major question marks over their integrity in the eyes of the electorate and their political backers," says an analyst. Also set for trial are radio personality Joshua Sang and civil service boss Francis Muthaura. "Justice has been done," says the father of a victim. Others, however, say they knew who had attacked them and that the wrong people had been accused.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
8%
4%
8%
24%
52%
4%