Former Komen VP Blasts 'Bully' Planned Parenthood
Karen Handel says Planned Parenthood broke agreement not to alert media
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 10, 2012 11:02 AM CST
Karen Handel speaks during an interview in Atlanta Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2012.   (AP Photo/John Bazemore)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Former Susan G. Komen VP Karen Handel says the foundation had a "gentle ladies' agreement" with Planned Parenthood that neither would alert the press when Komen cut off funding, and that Planned Parenthood broke it. "What happened is nothing short of a disgrace," she tells the Daily Beast. "Planned Parenthood launched a vicious attack on a nonprofit organization that fights breast cancer." She alleges that Planned Parenthood launched a concerted social media campaign to fuel outrage over the cuts, calling the organization a "gigantic bully" that used "Komen as its own personal punching bag."

Handel says Komen had to cut Planned Parenthood loose because Komen was losing donors: "The issue was ratcheting up. It wasn't dying down." She also notes that Planned Parenthood received less than 1% of Komen's community grant money last year, saying, "They unleashed Armageddon on an organization for $680,000." But Planned Parenthood says the cut was actually first reported by "anti-choice outlets," and that Komen then announced the decision publicly, which sparked media interest. It denies orchestrating the social media outcry.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
72%
9%
2%
3%
11%
3%