Red Cross Begins Evacuations in Syria
At least seven wounded people taken to hospital in Homs
By John Johnson,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 24, 2012 3:27 PM CST
Flames rise from a house in the Baba Amro neighborhood of Homs, Syria, earlier this week.   (AP Photo/Local Coordination Committees in Syria)

(Newser) – A small measure of progress in Syria: The Red Cross managed to convince Syrian troops and opposition forces to allow ambulances into a hard-hit area in the city of Homs. Seven injured people were rescued and brought to a hospital, reports AP. It's unclear whether two wounded foreign journalists—Edith Bouvier of France and British photographer Paul Conroy—were among them.

"It's a step forward," says a spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross. The development comes as world leaders met in Tunisia to increase pressure on Bashar al-Assad. In more bad news for the Syrian president, once-staunch ally Hamas abandoned him, notes Reuters. "I salute the heroic people of Syria who are striving for freedom democracy and reform," said leader Ismail Haniyeh.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
3%
0%
11%
0%
82%
5%