UK Lord Offered $16M Bounty on Obama, Bush: Report
Nazir Ahmed denies comments
By Matt Cantor,  Newser User
Posted Apr 16, 2012 7:50 AM CDT
Lord Nazir Ahmed, a Muslim members of the British Parliament's upper house speaks during an interview with the Associated Press late Saturday, Nov. 1, 2007 in Khartoum, Sudan.   (AP Photos/Abd Raouf)

(Newser) – A British lord has allegedly offered $16 million to anyone who can capture President Obama and George W. Bush, prompting his suspension from the Labour party "pending investigation." The comments—which Nazir Ahmed denies making—followed a US offer of $10 million for the capture of Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, who Washington believes was behind 2008's Mumbai attacks. "If the US can announce a reward of $10 million for the (capture) of Hafiz Saeed, I can announce a bounty of £10 million (for the capture of) President Obama and his predecessor," Lord Ahmed reportedly said last week in Pakistan.

The it-gets-better detail: He also allegedly said that he would go so far as to sell his house to come up with the $16 million. But Britain's first Muslim life peer said he hadn't heard about the suspension. "That's a surprise to me," he noted, according to the Telegraph. "I never said those words. I did not offer a bounty. I said that there have been war crimes committed in Iraq and Afghanistan," and that George W. Bush and Tony Blair "have been involved in illegal wars and should be brought to justice."