20 Dead in Syria in 2 Explosions
Additional attacks reported in Damascus, as ceasefire called failure
By Mark Russell,  Newser Staff
Posted Apr 30, 2012 3:14 AM CDT
In this photo released by the Syrian official news agency SANA, a Syrian man views a building that was damaged after two bombs exploded near a military compound, in Idlib, northwestern Syria, earlier...   (AP Photo/SANA)

(Newser) – Two large explosions rocked the northwestern Syrian city of Idlib, killing as many as 20 people, reports al-Jazeera. Both bombs exploded near air force intelligence and military security buildings, and most of those killed were members of security forces, although some civilians were also reported to be among the dead. Some reports said the attacks were made by suicide bombers. The Syrian state-run news agency put the number killed at eight, blaming the attack, as usual, on "armed terrorists."

Rebels also reportedly fired rockets at the Syrian Central Bank building in Damascus this morning, and the New York Times reports that if true, the strike would indicate a push by the rebels to damage symbols of state power. Government reports said no one was injured and the building suffered only "material damages" in the attack. In addition, a car bomb was reported in the suburbs of Damascus, injuring four police officers. Coming after a huge blast killed 70 in Hama last week, analysts are increasingly calling the April 12 ceasefire a failure.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
0%
0%
18%
73%
0%
9%