Dogs Poisoning Veterinarians
Fido vomiting up phosphine gas
By Mary Papenfuss, Newser Staff
Posted May 1, 2012 12:02 AM CDT
Updated May 1, 2012 2:21 AM CDT
Hit dog?   (?creativedc)

(Newser) – Some best friend. A few veterinarians and their workers are discovering dogs have made them very sick. Experts at the Centers for Disease Controls are warning of a bizarre poisoning that's occurring when dogs vomit in vet offices after ingesting pest-fighting chemicals aimed at rats, moles, and gophers. The dogs eat zinc phosphide, which is used as a rodent killer. But when it mixes with a dog's stomach acid, it produces potentially lethal phosphine gas.

In one case, six veterinary workers in Michigan were recently poisoned by exposure and suffered symptoms ranging from shortness of breath to bad headaches. They recovered with no known long-term effects, but the CDC has warned that more serious incidents could occur. Experts suggest inducing dog vomiting outdoors.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Dogs Poisoning Veterinarians is...
2%
8%
16%
4%
1%
70%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 5 comments
Tscare
May 8, 2012 5:04 AM CDT
It's not the dogs fault,it's the peoples fault for putting him in a dangerous position! obviously,as we all know,dogs do not have the capabilities of a human to READ and UNDERSTAND =P So,Ironically,The title should read "Veterans poisoning dogs"
JBM
May 2, 2012 12:07 AM CDT
I'm sure it never occurred to you to report on the status of the sick dogs, but some of us pet lovers out here would really like to know.
Mad
May 1, 2012 12:40 PM CDT
Some of the most humane persons I know - are dogs.