Flesh-Eating Infection Claims Student's Leg
Deadly bacteria linked to zip-line injury on river trip
By Mary Papenfuss, Newser Staff
Posted May 10, 2012 12:04 AM CDT
Aimee Copeland, 24, is fighting for her life in a Georgia hospital.   (FirstRaceTv)

(Newser) – A Georgia college student has lost a leg to a flesh-eating infection after a zip-line injury. Aimee Copeland, a 24-year old master's student at the University of West Georgia, is fighting for her life after a homemade zip line cut into her calf during a kayaking trip in the state. "It's a miracle she made it" this far, her dad told WSB-TV. The necrotizing fasciitis from Aeromonas hydrophila is also in her abdomen. The potentially deadly bacteria is found in fresh water.

"The bacteria produce enzymes that can dissolve muscle deep down," said an infection expert. "It can be a sneaky infection that's not immediately appreciated by the patient." Copeland sought medical treatment several times, complaining of pain. Doctors finally realized what she was battling on her fourth visit seeking help, reports ABC News.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Your Take
1%
2%
2%
10%
1%
85%
85% of people agree
that it's Scary
Check Out Another Scary Story
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 14 comments
Tology
May 10, 2012 10:50 AM CDT
I work at a "health club" and despite our efforts to keep things clean, it is like trying to keep a pig sty clean. People are too lazy to throw trash anywhere but the floor, along with their gum, used Q-Tips and kleenex, think nothing of spitting wherever they please and don't wash their hands after they use the bathroom. I swear some of the larger people come there every day to use the pool and hot tub just to soak the shit off of their asses because they can't reach it to wash it. I can just imagine what kind of germs there are on the city street if a health club is this dirty.
GenericLeftist
May 10, 2012 10:32 AM CDT
I grew up with a guy who contracted Staphylococcus from prison, it's been 4 years and he still has it.It spread to his neck and he had a huge boil the size of a golf ball on the side of his neck, no antibiotics will get rid of it, he could probably take it to court and sue the prison for unsanitary conditions.
chillette
May 10, 2012 7:29 AM CDT
Sad, but the moral is wash your hands and your body. There are a lot of people walking around who don't practice good basic hygiene. There have even been reports about people who brag about not bathing everyday. They claim it isn't needed and neither is deodorant. Yeah, right.