Syrian Rebels Hold Off Regime, But Onslaught Continues Rebels say international community bears responsibility if they're defeated By Mark Russell, Newser Staff Posted Jul 29, 2012 6:23 AM CDT 4 comments Comments In this Sunday, 22 July, 2012 photo a Syrian rebel takes cover after he fires his weapon during clashes with Syrian troops in Idlib, Syria. (AP Photo/Fadi Zaidan) (Newser) – Government tanks, artillery, and helicopters continued to pound rebel-held Aleppo today, in what could be one of the biggest battles of the Syrian uprising yet, reports the AP. Rebels have so far managed to keep government forces at bay, but the cost has been high, with 29 killed in Aleppo yesterday and 168 around Syria, including 94 civilians, 33 rebels, and 41 soldiers, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told al-Jazeera. "We are seeing some of the heaviest bombardment today, but the rebels are still holding up well," said one activist. Syrian rebels called on the international community to provide them with weapons and support, regardless of blocks put in the way by the divided UN Security Council, reports Reuters. "Our friends and allies will bear responsibility for what is happening in Aleppo if they do not move soon," said the head of the Syrian National Council. French President Francois Hollande said he would try again to get support from the Security Council. "I will once more address Russia and China so that they recognize there would be chaos and civil war if Bashar al-Assad isn't soon stopped," Hollande said.