You can't fight getting older, but you can keep the signs of wear and tear, not to speak of stress, off your face with these tips from the New York Times beauty expert:
- Get rid of old beauty products after a year—pots and tubes can develop micro-organism communities
- Quit smoking—dermatologists have found it can add years to a face
- Stop popping pimples—you risk infection and scarring
- Lower your stress and sleep more—stress can weaken the skin's "barrier function"
- Use sunscreen—it'll help prevent cancer and keep skin looking good
- Avoid product overload—no more than three or four products a day
- Wash your face nightly—skin gets dirty during the day
- Don't spend more than $30 per product—you could be paying for “the packaging, advertising, and celebrity endorsements"