The GOP's luminaries descended on the Sunday talk shows ahead of their abbreviated convention in Tampa, with none other than Mitt Romney leading off with an interview on Fox, reports Politico. Addressing Team Obama's effort to link him to Todd Akin, Romney said: "It's really sad, isn't it? With all the issues that America faces, for the Obama campaign to continue to stoop to such a low level." Elsewhere from Romney's interview:
- On RomneyCare: He's "very proud. I’m the guy who was able to get all the health care for all the women and men for my state. They were talking about it at the federal level. We actually did something and we did it without cutting Medicare and without raising taxes.”
- On his offshore accounts: “I could have said don’t make any investments in any foreign companies, in any foreign bonds, in any foreign currencies, only US entities. But I did live my life. And I expect by virtue of disclosing all these things, people can take a look at that and see whether that’s something they're comfortable with."
- On taking public funding for an 2016 campaign: "Oh, absolutely. To be competitive (now), we’re obviously following suit. But I’d far rather have a setting where we had both agreed to the federal spending limits."
And elsewhere from non-presumptive nominees:
- Jeb Bush on Obama's Dubya-bashing: "I think it's time for him to move on. I mean, look, the guy was dealt a difficult hand, no question about it. But he's had three years, his policies have failed. Rather than blame others, maybe offer some fresh solutions to the problems that we face. But that's not going to happen between now and Election Day."
- Marco Rubio on Todd Akin's chances: “I believe his statements make it much more difficult, borderline impossible perhaps, for him to win that race. I think that’s been clearly communicated to him both publicly and privately by a whole host of voices so we’ll see what decision he makes going forward.”
- Reince Priebus on Isaac shutting down the RNC: “I think that the show is going to go on. We’re going to get the business done at the RNC. We’re going to nominate Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. We’re going to have a great time in Tampa."
- Priebus on Romney's birth certificate crack: "I think it's a nothing. Have we really gotten to the point where we can't have any levity at all in politics? No one can say anything that's remotely humorous. The president makes jokes about this all the time."
- Kay Bailey Hutchison on the GOP's abortion platform: "We shouldn't put a party around an issue that is so personal and also, religious-based. I think we need to say, 'Here are our principals, and we welcome you as a Republican. We can disagree on any number of issues, but if you want to be a Republican, we welcome you.'"