Charges Dropped Vs. S. African Miners
Workers had been charged after police killed 34 in strike
By Polly Davis Doig,  Newser Staff
Posted Sep 2, 2012 9:21 AM CDT
A mine worker sings at a gathering at the Lonmin Platinum Mine near Rustenburg, South Africa, Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2012.   (AP Photo/Themba Hadebe)
camera-icon View 4 more images

(Newser) – South African prosecutors are dropping murder charges against 270 miners accused in the deaths of 34 of their co-workers killed by police during a strike, reports the BBC. "Final charges will only be made once all investigations have been completed," said the nation's top prosecutor today. "The murder charges against the current 270 suspects will be formally withdrawn provisionally in court." The miners will be released tomorrow and Tuesday, she said. Authorities had controversially dusted off an apartheid-era law to charge the miners, arguing that by striking they forced police to kill members of their ranks.