Teen Has Stomach Pulled After Downing Nitrogen Drink
Gaby Scanlon was celebrating her birthday at a UK bar
By Neal Colgrass, Newser Staff
Posted Oct 8, 2012 3:31 PM CDT
Liquid nitrogen creates a "steaming" effect in a drink.   (Shutterstock)

(Newser) – A British high school student nearly died last week after drinking a liquid-nitrogen cocktail and having her stomach removed in emergency surgery, the Telegraph reports. Gaby Scanlon was celebrating her eighteenth birthday with friends at a wine bar in Lancaster when she downed the Jägermeister drink, which is mixed with liquid nitrogen to produce a steaming effect. Breathless at first, then crippled by stomach pain, Scanlon was taken to a hospital and diagnosed with a perforated stomach.

Police are investigating, and the bar has agreed to stop serving nitrogen drinks for now. Seems wise, considering that the chemical is -320 Fahrenheit and can damage your insides if it hasn't evaporated before ingestion, experts tell the Guardian. They add, however, that liquid nitrogen can be used to chill glasses or freeze food without posing a health threat. As for Scanlon, she is recovering in serious but stable condition. "Maybe 'stay off the liquid nitrogen' is not a f–––––– funny thing to say to me," she tweeted. "I nearly died." (Read about an eco-friendly burial method that uses liquid nitrogen.)

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Teen Has Stomach Pulled After Downing Nitrogen Drink is...
13%
19%
2%
7%
2%
57%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 85 comments
BCS
Oct 10, 2012 4:17 AM CDT
This is what happens when people can't think for themselves. Not teaching kids leadership skills is a very dangerous thing. It appears that this girl was a blind follower.
Brazilian_Silver
Oct 9, 2012 1:25 PM CDT
She's going to have someone elses stomach in her for the rest of her life...I wonder how that will effect her?
teamhoneybadger
Oct 9, 2012 12:35 PM CDT
Stay of the liquid nitrogen. There I said it. It's cool, it's hip ... right until you end up in the emergency room with a perforated stomache.