Dog Survives After Getting Poisoned, Buried Alive And it happened on his third birthday By Newser Editors and Wire Services Posted Oct 20, 2012 9:51 AM CDT 83 comments Comments A Jack Russell terrier, Ethan, is pictured at his new home in eastern France Friday. (Sylvie) (Newser) – A Jack Russell terrier has survived after being poisoned and buried alive—and he can thank the man who saw the ground wiggle. Ethan came back to life on his third birthday after someone tried to kill him. He had a whole chain of saviors: the man who dug him up, the firefighters who rushed him off, and a veterinarian who nursed him back to life. The vet in Charleville-Mezieres, 125 miles northeast of Paris, said that when firefighters brought the dirt-covered terrier to his office "he was completely cold, he was barely breathing." He used hot water bottles to warm up Ethan's body, got him hydrated, and within 24 hours the dog was back on his feet. It happened earlier this week, when a man walking on a pedestrian path just happened to see the ground moving—an apparent result of convulsions from the dog's poisoning. The man then got a shovel and dug the dog up. Ethan was identified through a microchip that showed all this happened on his third birthday. His owner says he had given the dog away, but police are investigating.