Louis CK was supposed to perform in New York last night, but ultimately decided it was safer to cancel considering the threat of Hurricane Sandy was already hovering over the city. And, as you might expect from the comedian who’s done all this, CK handled the cancellation with his typical class, Gawker notes. “If it's any consolation, I'm eating a pretty staggering fee for cancelling the show. But I can take it,” he wrote in an open letter to ticket holders. “What I can't take is the thought that there's a CHANCE 4300 people will be in danger trying to get home from my stupid show.” Instead he’ll do a replacement show, and will refund the ticket cost or find an alternate show for anyone who can’t make it. More on how the storm is impacting the entertainment world:
- Lindsay Lohan has, of course, weighed in, E! reports. "WHY is everyone in SUCH a panic about hurricane (i'm calling it Sally)..?" she tweeted. "Stop projecting negativity! Think positive and pray for peace." She later started calling it “Hurricane Sassy.” Perhaps she’s not aware it’s already not-so-hilariously killed 65 people.
- Other celebrities weighed in on Twitter too, but kept things less offensive. Snooki responded “Lol u wish” to someone who tweeted that the storm had “made a turn for the South Jersey Shore heading directly for @snooki."
- Howard Stern—who's had a number of guests cancel on him due to the storm—may in turn cancel his scheduled appearance on Jimmy Kimmel’s show tomorrow, Examiner.com reports. “I love” Kimmel, Stern said, but “I don’t really want to die to go to Jimmy’s show.” Even so, reps for Kimmel’s show, which is taping in Brooklyn this week, tell Entertainment Weekly they are proceeding as scheduled.
- MTV notes the scads of concerts that have been canceled due to Sandy, including Rita Ora and John Legend. The AP reports that all Broadway shows were canceled last night and today.
- Sandy hit the tech world, too: Google canceled an Android event that was planned in New York City today, eWeek reports. The highly anticipated event was rumored to include a new smartphone or tablet.