Economy No. 1 Concern for 60% of Voters
Americans generally split on ObamaCare
By Kate Seamons, Newser Staff
Posted Nov 6, 2012 4:49 PM CST
Voters wait in line Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2012 in the Sun Valley section of Los Angeles.   (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)

(Newser) – Not a huge surprise here: Initial results from the AP's exit poll show that six out of 10 voters feel the economy is the No. 1 issue facing the US today. That's basically unchanged from 2008, when 62% of voters said the same thing. Other preliminary findings:

  • Which issues also made the list? Health care (18%), the deficit (15%), foreign policy (4%).
  • So if the economy is the biggest issue, what's the biggest economic problem voters are grappling with? Almost 40% said unemployment, and nearly the same amount said rising prices. Taxes and housing joined the list, though they lagged far behind.

  • About 50% of voters place more blame for the country's economic state on George W. Bush than President Obama.
  • Which candidate do voters think is more in touch with "people like them?" Obama takes that one, 52% to 44%.
  • So what candidate quality mattered most as voters cast their ballot? Just under one-third cited vision for the future; about the same number said sharing their values.
  • Just under 50% of voters would like to see all or part of ObamaCare repealed; 43% would like it to stand, or even be expanded.
  • Only 30% of voters want to see illegal immigrants working in the US deported. Nearly two-thirds said such people should be offered a chance to apply for legal status.

View 1 more image
More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Economy No. 1 Concern for 60% of Voters is...
13%
8%
23%
15%
38%
5%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 5 comments
Seth_Meyers
Nov 6, 2012 9:43 PM CST
GREAT way to help America: BAN THE ILLEGAL TOBACCO DRUG, NOW! Save TWO HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS every year. Save 500,000 addict lives and more importantly, save 65,000 INNOCENT Americans who are KILLED each year because they were exposed to TOXIC TOBACCO SMOKE! BAN THE ILLEGAL TOBACCO DRUG, NOW AND PROSECUTE THE CRIMINAL TOBACCO PUSHERS! A WIN-WIN for America!
myflap.blow
Nov 6, 2012 8:20 PM CST
right. because the other 40% are probably invested in either oil or war or something corrupt. The MAIN reason the economy is screwed up is because the price of gas is sucking away all of our disposable income, while making everything else cost more. EVERYTHING down to the unemployment rate is rooted in this. And free-for-all war spending with no way to pay for it while maintaining the worlds largest military budget ever is pure insanity on every level of logic unless you're somehow profiting off of it. And don't get me started on overseas slave labor, no-bid contracts, infrastructure unimprovement, blatant fraud and waste, the criminal criminal system, unlegalized pot, bankers, the list goes on and on. Secretly, the No. 1 concern for 60% of Voters is validity of the "system".
JesusLovesSomeOfYou
Nov 6, 2012 5:32 PM CST
"Only 25% say they're better off now than they were four years ago." The other 75% let Mitt Romney tell them how shitty their lives are, instead of making that evaluation for themselves.