The editors of the New York Times book review have made their picks for the year's best fiction and nonfiction works. A sampling:
- Bring Up the Bodies, Hilary Mantel: Her novel about Henry VIII won the Man Booker Prize, just like its predecessor.
- Building Stories, Chris Ware: This graphic novel "enriches the form by breaking it apart."
- A Hologram for the King, Dave Eggers: "A riff on middle-class decline that approaches Beckett in its absurdist despair."
- The Passage of Power, Robert A. Caro: The author's latest entry in his exhaustive biography of Lyndon Johnson.
- The Patriarch, David Nasaw: A "sprawling, arresting account" of Joseph P. Kennedy.
Click for the full list of 10
, which includes an exploration of why the world exists.