Egypt Court Bans YouTube for Month Over Islamic Video
But ruling might be impossible to enforce
By John Johnson, Newser Staff
Posted Feb 9, 2013 1:00 PM CST
Bangladeshi Muslims participate in a protest against the video last September.   (AP Photo/A.M. Ahad)

(Newser) – An Egyptian judge has ordered the government to block YouTube for a month over the anti-Islamic video that showed up last year and caused deadly riots, reports AP. The judge called the Innocence of Muslims "offensive to Islam," but it's unclear whether the government would be able, or willing, to enforce the penalty. YouTube parent Google has yet to comment.

"This verdict shows that judges' understanding of technology is weak," says a human rights lawyer in the country. "The judges do not realize that one wrong post on a website does not mean you have to block the entire website." Another court last year sentenced seven of the film's promoters to death, but that, too, looks impossible to enforce given that all live outside the country.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Egypt Court Bans YouTube for Month Over Islamic Video is...
44%
5%
8%
2%
7%
34%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 18 comments
TomthemanIam
Feb 10, 2013 1:54 PM CST
President al-Assad issues Legislative Decree No.15 establishing two Ministries, the first being the Ministry of Social Affairs and the second the Ministry of Labor. The President also issued Decree No.61 for 2013 and amongst a host of others, well received Engineer Hussein Farzat was nominated Minister of Housing and Urban Development. The Army Inflicts Heavy Losses upon Terrorists in Idleb Units of the Armed Forces on Sunday targeted terrorists' gatherings and hideouts in several areas in the countryside of Idleb, inflicting heavy losses upon them. SANA reporter quoted a source in the province as saying that a unit of the Armed Forces targeted two gathering of terrorists in al-Rami town in Jabal al-Zawiyeh in the countryside of the province, killing many of them and injuring others, in addition to destroying a number of vehicles. The source added that another army unit inflicted heavy losses upon terrorists in the farms surrounding al-Shagher, al-Ya'aqobiyeh and al-Janoudiyeh villages. Meanwhile, a unit of the Armed Forces destroyed a terrorists' hideout near Jisr al-Shughour city along with all weapons and ammunition inside it and two vehicles equipped with heavy machineguns. Two Citizens Injured in Car Bomb Blast in Arnous Square, Damascus Two citizens were injured on Sunday when terrorists detonated a car bomb in Arnous Square in Damascus. A source at Damascus Police Command said the terrorist bombing resulted in the injury of two citizens who were in the area, in addition to causing damage to 10 parked cars. Terrorist Blows Himself up in Ruken Eddin Meanwhile, a terrorist suicide bomber detonated his explosive belt in Rukneddin neighborhood in Damascus, causing his immediate death. Military Source Denies News on Terrorists' Control of Military Points in Aleppo Countryside A military source on Sunday dismissed as completely untrue what was circulated by media on terrorists taking over two military points in the surrounding of Minegh Airport in the countryside of Aleppo. The source stressed in a statement to SANA that these allegations and false news come in the framework of the desperate attempts made by media outlets involved in the shedding of the Syrian blood to raise the low morale of terrorists under the strikes of the army.
InferiorToYou
Feb 10, 2013 6:59 AM CST
The judge learned about the internets from Ted Stevens.
xxxxxxxx
Feb 9, 2013 5:21 PM CST
Maybe Egypt should ban Youtube permanently. Egypt now knows that YouTube practices Freedom of Speech and at times may offend people. If Egypt voluntarily allows YouTube back into their society, then they are accepting YouTube's policies and no longer will be able to legally or morally protest their content.