Mexican AG: Rapists Have Confessed, Case Closed
Acapulco moving swiftly in gang rape of 6 Spanish tourists
By Polly Davis Doig,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 14, 2013 2:47 PM CST
Mexican marines stand at a roadblock in Acapulco, Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013.   (AP Photo/Bernandino Hernandez)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Mexico is moving swiftly to put to rest the gang rape of six Spanish tourists in Acapulco: All six suspects in custody have admitted everything, AG Jesus Murillo Karam told a news conference today, according to CNN. "There are already six arrests, confessed, totally confessed the full story of what happened, and we need only to arrest one more person identified in this process," he said. "The case is solved."

Acapulco's mayor had earlier drawn sharp criticism for trying to downplay the attack, saying it could have happened "anywhere in the world," and officials have worried about the effect on tourism in a city already decimated by the drug war. One of the suspects is a 16-year-old boy, and it's not clear whether the accused are gang members.