Entire Block in Kansas City Burns After Explosion
Cadaver dogs searching rubble after huge blaze
By Rob Quinn, Newser Staff
Posted Feb 20, 2013 12:28 AM CST
Updated Feb 20, 2013 3:36 AM CST
Firefighters battle a massive fire at the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, Mo.    (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, Allison Long)

(Newser) – At least 14 people were injured, five of them critically, when a gas explosion sparked a huge blast in an upscale Kansas City shopping district. The fire, which completely destroyed JJ's Restaurant, engulfed an entire block of the Country Club Plaza, reports the AP. The force of the blast, which came hours after residents reported a strong smell of natural gas in the area, knocked out windows across a wide area and was felt almost a mile away. Cadaver dogs are searching through the rubble.

"It sounded like thunder, but it felt like an earthquake," a worker in a nearby building tells the Kansas City Star. There were relatively few people inside the usually packed restaurant at the time because surrounding streets had been closed off while the smell of gas was investigated. Missouri Gas Energy issued a statement saying "early indications are that a contractor doing underground work struck a natural gas line, but the investigation continues."

View 2 more images
More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Gas Blast, Fire Level Kansas City Eatery is...
5%
8%
14%
2%
71%
0%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 7 comments
CitizenX
Feb 20, 2013 3:22 PM CST
I want to know where the drones were and exactly who was in that mall!!
ScribblinJack
Feb 20, 2013 1:25 PM CST
Stay strong, Kansas City!
BenDunn
Feb 20, 2013 10:50 AM CST
Ban Natural gas Now!! Too Dangerous, you don't need it to heat or cook, BAN GAS NOW!!!