Baby Born on Frozen Street Declared Dead, Revives
Girl was born on freezing Toronto sidewalk
By Rob Quinn, Newser Staff
Posted Feb 20, 2013 2:34 AM CST
Updated Feb 24, 2013 11:02 AM CST
The girl was born on a freezing night on this sidewalk in western Toronto.   (YouTube)

(Newser) – Two alert police officers are credited with saving the life of a baby girl who was wrongly declared dead after being born outside in freezing temperatures in Toronto. The girl's mother had attempted to walk to a hospital in temperatures around zero Fahrenheit, but she didn't make it and ended up giving birth on a frigid sidewalk, the Toronto Star reports. Hospital staff tried to revive the newborn, but she was declared dead and covered with a sheet. Two police officers waited with the body for the coroner to arrive and after almost two hours, one of them spotted movement under the sheet.

The officer felt for a pulse and alerted medical staff, who confirmed the baby was alive. She is now in stable condition, along with her 20-year-old mother. Doctors believe that the frigid temperatures could have slowed the newborn's heart close to stopping, while preserving brain function. "Hypothermia can mimic death," an expert tells the Globe and Mail, which notes that it is "a critical tenet of emergency medicine that you’re not dead until you’re warm and dead." The hospital says it is reviewing "all aspects of care" involved in the incident, including the "extensive resuscitation efforts" when the baby first arrived there.

Next on Newser: Kerry Heads Out on 1st Trip
More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Baby Born Outside Revives After Death Declared is...
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Showing 3 of 26 comments
Feb 24, 2013 2:39 PM CST
Nobody yet has said the obvious, so I will: Three cheers for the Toronto P.D., which saved that baby's life.
Feb 24, 2013 1:45 PM CST
Canadian's free health care?
Feb 24, 2013 1:03 PM CST
in a country with free medical care that includes ambulance service, why didn't they call for help?