Quite a few people will be shocked if Argo doesn't win Best Picture at the Oscars tonight—but history has shown that it could happen. Celebuzz rounds up the 18 biggest Academy Awards upsets:
- When Adrien Brody won Best Actor for The Pianist, he beat out four previous Oscar winners.
- After Crash beat Brokeback Mountain in 2006, some accused Academy voters of homophobia.
- Beatrice Straight won Best Supporting Actress for Network in 1977—though she only appeared in the film for about five minutes.
- That same year, Rocky managed to beat All the President's Men, Taxi Driver, and Network to win Best Picture.
- Everyone thought Rosie Perez or Winona Ryder would win Best Supporting Actress in 1994; instead, the award went to 11-year-old Anna Paquin.
- The year prior, another surprising Best Supporting Actress: Marisa Tomei for My Cousin Vinny. Some thought presenter Jack Palance just read the wrong name.
- It's now considered the best film ever made, but in 1942 Citizen Kane lost Best Picture to How Green Was My Valley.
- And the world was similarly shocked when Saving Private Ryan lost, in 1999, to ... Shakespeare in Love?!
Click for the complete list