The Los Angeles Times rounds up some of the more memorable declarations of the late Hugo Chavez, including:
- Mars: He theorized in 2011 that the red planet once might have had life but that capitalism and "imperialism" arrived on the planet and killed it.
- Cancer plot: He once speculated that the US gave him and other Latin American leaders cancer, a conspiracy floated anew today by his vice president.
- Haiti quake: The US caused it with a super-secret weapon.
- Twitter: He once called Twitter a "tool of terrorism," before becoming an enthusiastic tweeter himself.
- Devil: At a speech to the UN in 2006, he called George W. Bush the devil, crossed himself, and said the lectern "still smells of sulfur." At a subsequent speech in 2009, he said President Obama had eliminated the sulfur scent.
Click for more