Zimmerman Foregoes 'Stand Your Ground' Hearing

Decision confuses prosecutors in Trayvon case

By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff

Posted Mar 6, 2013 2:51 AM CST

(Newser) – George Zimmerman's lawyers have bewildered prosecutors by canceling a hearing that could have seen the murder charges against him dismissed under Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, the Miami Herald reports. The hearing had been expected in April but Zimmerman is now set to go to trial in June for shooting unarmed teen Travyon Martin just over a year ago. His lawyers say he might still invoke "Stand Your Ground" at his trial, though defendants usually use the self-defense law to have their cases dismissed before trial.

Defense attorney Mark O'Mara says Zimmerman wants to be found not guilty by a jury instead of having the charges dismissed. The former neighborhood watch volunteer, who has not been seen in public since he was freed on bail last July, "is doing as well as can be expected," a spokesman for his defense team tells NBC. "He is in hiding and has gained 105 pounds," putting him in the "ballpark" of 300 pounds, the spokesman says. "Everyone deals with stress differently."

George Zimmerman, right, has been charged with murder in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, left.   (AP Photo, File)
George Zimmerman sits in court at the Seminole County courthouse for a hearing, Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2012, in Sanford, Fla.   (AP Photo/Orlando Sentinel, Joe Burbank, Pool)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
37%
23%
11%
6%
1%
21%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   MSN Living   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   Biography   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!