There's no official coroner's report yet, but it looks like MTV reality star Shain Gandee and two others may have died from carbon monoxide poisoning after the truck they were off-roading in got stuck in the mud. TMZ has pictures of Gandee's Ford Bronco, which appears to have been submerged in mud past the windows, and sources close to the investigation tell the gossip site that's the current theory. The fumes would not have been able to escape through the tailpipe, which was also completely submerged. A rep for the sheriff's office says there is no cell reception in the area, so the men could not call for help, and according to Radar, temperatures were below freezing so some are speculating that's why the men kept the Bronco running with the heat on.
Other media have similar reports, and a spokesman for the sheriff's office tells the Hollywood Reporter such speculation is "not irresponsible." He says the department is still waiting on the coroner's report, but carbon monoxide poisoning is definitely a possibility. A producer for Buckwild adds that Gandee's father told him "his son died doing what he loved to do." Shain Gandee was the driver. The show often depicts cast members going "mudding," and filming had already begun for the second season. The mayor, never a fan of the show, tells TMZ he hopes it is canceled. MTV is waiting a few weeks to make a decision on that, sources tell the Reporter, but production is currently suspended.