Tsarnaev Dad Says He's 'Really Sick'
...so he's postponing his US trip
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Apr 28, 2013 11:19 AM CDT
The father of the two Boston bombing suspects, Anzor Tsarnaev, speaks in Makhachkala, Dagestan, Thursday, April 25, 2013.   (Musa Sadulayev)

(Newser) – The father of the two Boston bombing suspects said today that he has postponed a trip to the United States because of poor health. "I am really sick," said Anzor Tsarnaev, 46, adding that his blood pressure had spiked to dangerous levels. Tsarnaev said Thursday that he planned to leave that day or the next for the US with the hope of seeing his imprisoned younger son and burying his elder son. Reuters has a slightly different take: Speaking with Tsarnaev from an undisclosed location in North Caucasus, he says, "Unfortunately, I can't help my child in any way. I am in touch with Dzhokhar's and my own lawyers. They told me they would let me know (what to do)."

Tsarnaev did not specify whether he had been hospitalized. He and the suspects' mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, returned to Russia last year and settled in Makhachkala, the capital of neighboring Dagestan, where Tsarnaeva's relatives live. During the past week, they were both questioned extensively by US investigators, as well as besieged by journalists outside their home. He and Tsarnaeva left Dagestan on Friday, but their whereabouts were unclear.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
10%
8%
11%
5%
2%
64%