Nigeria Launches 'Massive' Crackdown on Boko Haram

Goodluck Jonathan says recent attacks call for 'extraordinary measures'

By Ruth Brown,  Newser Staff

Posted May 15, 2013 10:25 AM CDT

(Newser) – Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has declared a state of emergency (again; though last time it was just smaller local areas) and launched a "massive" crackdown on Boko Haram, following a series of recent attacks. "I hereby declare a state of emergency in Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa states," Jonathan announced in a TV address yesterday, stating that recent attacks were tantamount to "a declaration of war" and required "extraordinary measures."

CNN reports that Nigeria is deploying troops into restive areas to, as a military spokesman says, "rid the nation's border territories of terrorist bases and activities." Boko Haram killed at least 185 people last month, firing rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns at civilians. The move seems to fly in the face of recent Nigerian rhetoric about brokering a peace deal with the militants, Al Jazeera notes.

Imam Abubakar Shekau, leader of Boko Haram.
Imam Abubakar Shekau, leader of Boko Haram.   (AP Photo, FIle)
Nigeria President,Goodluck Jonathan visits the site of the police headquarters bombed by a suicide bomber in Kano, Nigeria, Sunday, Jan. 22, 2012.
Nigeria President,Goodluck Jonathan visits the site of the police headquarters bombed by a suicide bomber in Kano, Nigeria, Sunday, Jan. 22, 2012.   (AP Photo/Sunday Alamba)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
6%
12%
4%
59%
12%
6%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   HitFix   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   CollegeHumor   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!